bubbles

bubbles

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Planting seeds

This week I planted some seeds as recommended by the Farmer's Almanac. Last spring was warmer and I don't really remember when I started my seeds and then killed off quite a few of the seedlings once the weather was generally quite warm by putting them out and then they got frosted. We still ended up doing quite well despite that but I have resolved to follow the Farmer's Almanac this year and see if I can improve our garden further.

So the seeds I planted were Broccoli, Cauliflower, Bell Peppers, Tomatoes, Oregano, Basil, Marjoram, Cilantro, Thyme, and Hollyhocks and Oriental and California Poppies. I am so excited, some of the Broccoli and Cauliflower have already sprouted.

I've been walking around looking at my gardening spaces a lot lately trying to imagine what I need to change, how it might be different and think of things to do now before the growing season really starts. When we first moved in we made an arch out of saplings and staked it above the steps on our stone wall. It was very nice to see but we get quite a bit of wind here at the top of this little hill and it blew down in the fall. I've decided that for now its better off without that for the time being and now need to move my climbing rose so I am going to put it down next the steps.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to attempt to grow moonflowers again this year. Last year, I didn't, stuck with tomatoes, basil, parsley, chives, and cilantro. I also planted onions and garlic last fall, so I'm looking forward to seeing how those do this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. Note to Self: Buy an almanac! I have to get some seeds started!

    ReplyDelete